This last weekend went VERY different from expected...
I figured I'd be spending the weekend working on the computer, cleaning bathrooms, catching up on DVR'd shows...
Not so much.
Friday night I was dozing on my bed (around 7:30) when my phone rang!
(Which in and of itself is a strange thing.)
Anyway, after a brief conversation, a change into all black clothing and a swift drive, I was on the deck at the La Jolla Playhouse and their newest show:
Here's the quick story: The rehearsals and previews for the show have lead to loooong hours (which is a normal thing.) But as comes with all the work, people start to get tired and run down. This is exactly what happened! One of the costume dressers started to get sick. Fearing that it might be strep (it wasn't, thank heavens!) and not wanting it to make it's way through the cast & crew, I was asked to be a last minute substitute for the weekend.
So, Friday night I shadowed "said dresser" on her track, and Saturday & Sunday I worked her shift! It was CRAZY!!! First: I had never been a dresser before, and second: there's A LOT to remember!! Luckily, the crew was SO awesome, helpful and nice! Plus the actors I helped were very patient with me! I was completely taken care of, and ended up having an amazing, fun (and stressful) weekend! Way more exciting than what I had previously planned!
The only thing that made it a little more complicated was that I have yet to actually see the show. However, I get to go on Thursday! Being involved (even in a small way) and then seeing it makes theater (to me) that much more special. Now I just need to find a way to provide for myself through what I enjoy!
Moral of the story: You should go see Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots before it (undoubtedly) moves to Broadway, tickets become twice as expensive & the only bits you'll get to see will be on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. :)
Yay!
