So the first six months of 2013 are filled to the brim with theatrical projects.
I admit, I have spread myself a little thin, but I kind of have to in order to stay in theater. If I don't, I can't afford to do any of it. :( Still, I'll need to find a part-time/day job, but that's really nothing to do with this...
Since I work mainly in youth theater, the hours of 3:30-7:30pm are hot commodities!
Because of that, when the opportunity to work on a Main Stage show at North Coast Rep came up, I was able to work the later hours, without too many adjustments to my schedule!
I worked Educating Rita as a dresser. It was incredibly helpful to have the weekend experience from Yoshimi! If I hadn't been given that opportunity back in November, I would have had no idea what I was doing. The cast was small (only 2 people) but every scene is a passage of time, so I had 14 quick changes! It was a lot of fun though, and I met more new and awesome people!
I had to miss a few rehearsals, but my next show opening is a production of The Wizard of Oz.
This is a smaller production, but totally cute!! It's a workshop production, with children ages 5 to 13. It's in a multi-purpose room in an elementary school, so we have to bring everything in that we use to do the show. The problem is, that the school has been rather snotty about allowing us to leave things in the space. Load-in is when we load everything in! But in this space, we have to take everything down every night, and put it back up every day. Lame.
While I appreciate we have a space at all, it just shows people don't understand what it takes to truly put a show together.
While Oz is happening, I'm also beginning the next show: Alice in Wonderland Jr.! We had auditions this last week, and were able to cast almost 40 kids! I think this one will also be really fun. It's unfortuante that I have kids that drop because they think they are better than a part. Especially when we had to cut more than 20 kids who would have loved the opportunity.
I feel like people that think they're too good for a part are crazy! So many of these kids drop because they don't get leads. But guess what? You go from having a smaller role, to no role. How is that going to help you grow as an artist? Every show is different, and every director has different images and ideas of what they want. Take the part. Learn, make friends, build connections. GROW. Then you'll learn who you are and what you need to do to get the bigger parts. Dropping out just leaves bad impressions, a lack of humility, and less experience. How will you get better that way?
Oh, yeah. This show is on Easter weekend too. (I'll be at the theater, Easter Bunny...)
Alice ends and a week later we start auditions for Romeo and Juliet. I already have the script, and have done the basics that I needed to get done, so now we're just waiting. It doesn't start until April, but I'm ready to go when we get that far!
I actually have auditions again in two weeks, but that show - CATS - doesn't open until the week after Romeo and Juliet. They have a longer rehearsal process, but it's considered a class. It also works because this is going to be a difficult show. It's an operetta being done by kids. Many of whom have never done theater before. Plus, there is A LOT of dance. A LOT.
But if we can pull it off...
It'll be GREAT! :)
After that, I have another smaller production of The Wizard of Oz. The production that opens in March is a mini version, where this one is a longer script, but the first one I am doing is with a youth theater company, and the second if with a community church. They do shows twice a year as community outreach, so the sets are minimal, and the show itself is limited by their church space. But the kids always do a great job, and the shows turn out fun, so I am grateful I get to be part of it! :)
And after allllll that; After all the shows have closed, it will be summer, and I will have one show left on the calendar...
This should be a big show, and a lot of fun. It should also be very tiring. Since it just became available for smaller companies to do, we are the first who have it here. That means, no sets, no costumes, nothing. It's going to be a big undertaking. I'm glad I can carve out a week when it's over to sleep. I think I'm gonna need it!
SO, come see a show! There are quite a few coming up!






