I was recently sent a string of e-mails that prompted me to send a reply sharing my thoughts on auditioning and casting in youth theater shows. I do a lot of work with youth theater kids, and while I love them all, I think there a lot of bad habits that will be more harmful than beneficial. So, I've decided to share a portion of my reply below. Hopefully it will help someone somewhere.
"I think you are correct, these are kids. Kids need to learn patience, and gain an understanding of not always getting their way, otherwise they will get a very rude awakening in the real world. When I was in high school, we often had to wait 1-2 weeks for cast lists to be posted. It was torture! During that time, rumors flew about who was "already cast," what they did to be cast, and why he/she was going to get the part. We were seldom correct. Giving a child a part strictly because they have been around a long time is not a reason to hand them something. Auditions are competitions, not talent shows. If a child (or even an adult) is not to a point where they are able to successfully handle a part, we do no good casting them in those positions. We would be setting the individual, and the production up for failure. Do we want people speaking negatively of a show? Do we want one of the kids to be happy they got a part, only for them to hear about how terrible their performance was later? I believe it's counter-productive, and leaves negative feelings at the end of a process that should be challenging, educational and most of all, rewarding.
Along with that, there are several individuals, who all believe that they are talented to the point that they will only take specific roles. This is unfortunate. Not every good singer is a good match for a lead. Every show requires something a little different. But ALL the strong voices are needed. I find that a successful show has a powerful ensemble both in vocals and acting. It's often where the thrill and comedy come from. It is a shame that so many young people feel that their talent is above ensemble roles. I understand everyone is busy, but every experience is a new experience that helps to round out an individual so when they grow, they have a better understanding and appreciation for what they have been given. Sharing your talents only as an opportunity to be self-showcasing really hinders the success of a show, and eventually those kids will find themselves never cast, because others willing to take the ensemble parts have not only shown their willingness to work in a team environment, but they have grown from the experiences and made the connections."