11.07.2008

Noise

So, I should be studying right now for a BIG test I have tomorrow, but I needed a little break. :)

I was sitting on my bed by the window, and I suddenly realized how very quiet it is here right now. It was shocking, considering you can hear everything that goes on in this place all the time. For example, both mornings last weekend I woke up because the people living up stairs were walking around and opening their drawers. They open their drawers a lot. (Makes me think that whatever they keep in there should maybe just be kept out on the counter!)

I can hear people playing tennis out on the tennis courts every morning as well. Then there are the giant trash trucks that come by, the gardeners that mow outside the window first thing in the morning, and the tractors across the street from the window I sleep by moving plants and debris in the greenhouses.

Probably the most disturbing noise are the police sirens. They are load, and long and I hear them almost every night. In fact, they occur so often, that sometimes I don't realize they are outside until they have been going for awhile. Police sirens usually do not accompany good news.

So, the fact that it is really quiet is weird. I like it. It makes me excited to go home. The suburbs don't have this much excitement on a regular basis. (Though we do have the occasional late night helicopter buzzing the house...)

I was trying to remember the last time I was in a place where there was this much quiet at night. I think it might have been when I was in Texas. There's not a lot there, so it's really easy to be quiet! Maybe someday I will end up living there - or somewhere else in the south. You know, wide open spaces, lots of room... Or maybe the Pacific Northwest is where I will end up with the quiet closeness of the trees, and the soothing sound of rain... Realistically, I'll probably end up some place like that. Someplace slower paced than LA. I most likely won't end up in San Diego, sad as that is. Not unless I win the lottery... Maybe I should try playing...

Well, the people upstairs must have decided they needed a break from studying too. I hear talking, walking and a toilet flush. Guess it's time to get back to work. At least tests and papers aren't forever! :)