12.27.2010

The Most Wonderful Time

I love Christmas! This Christmas season has been full of adventures, rain and very few people... no one made it home for the holiday, so it was fairly quiet. Still... it was a lot of fun!

This year we once again made tamales. I made 10 dozen, with the help of my family. It was a project that took several days, lots of hours, and a little of my finger, but it got done. :) I didn't get a picture of everyone involved this year, but I did get this picture of the tamales pre-cooking:



And this one of the tamales post-cooking:



We tried two different kinds of masa this year. I don't think anyone noticed the difference. One was considerably cheaper in price than the other. Luckily it wasn't cheaper in taste! This is good because it means next year we can make more tamales for a smaller price. :)

Since I am still unemployed, I spent most of my Christmas season doing other people's Christmas Shopping. I enjoy finding things for people that they will love, but don't expect. It's like a treasure hunt! The best is when you get something for someone they may have mentioned in passing, but never really think about. It makes my heart happy to see how much they enjoy the gifts on Christmas day. This year I was able to do that for my grandmothers. One got an ipad, so I was able to get her some accessories for it, and for the other I got a blazer. I had been shopping with her several times, and every time we saw this jacket, she stopped to admire it. I'm glad that I was able to find it in her size! She was very surprised on Christmas day. It was GREAT!

But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I was out shopping with my grandma one day, and got a phone call saying that I was going to a Charger game. Huh. Never been to one of those. Don't even usually watch football, but, ok. I went with my sister and her family to the Chargers vs. 49er's. It was fun, and VERY COLD. I thought I might die of hypothermia! We sat this close to the field:



Every time we got a touchdown, they shot fireworks off from the top of the stadium. We won 31 to 7, so there were quite a few fireworks that night! It was very nice of my dad to buy me a ticket to the game, and I enjoyed spending the time with my sister and her family. They left before Christmas, but it was a nice weekend with them all the same.

I also did shopping for my sister Shannon. I exchange, she bought me a ticket to Disneyland for the holidays! We went on one of the rainiest days. It was a few days before Christmas, so I fully expected there to be LOTS of people, even with all the rain. I was pleasantly surprised! It only rained hard 2 or 3 times, and it wasn't crowded AT ALL! We went on Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain and California Screamin' twice. We walked right on to Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion and Pirates. We had small waits at the Storybook Canal Boats, It's A Small World and Buzz Lightyear, but nothing outrageous. Everything we wanted to see, we saw - and all before 9:30pm!

One ride we went on was Toy Story Mania. I got the highest score in the car, which really isn't saying much...



We also went over to Santa's house and saw his reindeer. I actually took two different pictures of the reindeer, but in the other picture I accidentally caught a reindeer while he was doing his business... Oops.



Lastly, as always, I'm adding a picture of our Christmas family member. It was kind of hectic at my grandma's house this year, so there was no tree to decorate at their home, and thus, no picture. But here is the picture of the tree at my mom's house. I'm sure I've explained tree names before, but just as a refresher: Christmas Trees live most of their lives outside with other trees, before they are cut down to come into your home and fulfill their Christmas purposes. Because of this, Christmas Trees (unlike small plants) come into your home already having names. Plants, on the other hand, you have to name yourself. So this year, our Christmas Tree friend came into our home and made a HUGE impression. He's the biggest tree we have had in a long time, and we were very lucky to make him part of our Christmas celebration. I think the thing that surprised me most was that he told me his whole name! It's the first time a Christmas Tree has had a last name (that I know of.) So, here's my traditional picture of our tree, Antwone Jackalope!



Yes, I know I'm crazy. Yes, I've been told countless times I'm weird. I know I'll spend every Christmas alone with no one but my Christmas Trees with names..., but at least we'll have fun!

...Which is what I hope this Christmas season has brought all of you! Gifts are trivial, and will be forgotten quickly. But the memories you get to keep!

Merry Christmas!