11.26.2010

Turkey Day '10

Twice of year, thanks to the yummy, gut-busting holidays, we are allowed to partake in the perfect breakfast food...

PUMPKIN PIE!



Well, think about it... It has all the food groups. Bread (Crust), Vegetables (Pumpkin), Protein (Eggs in the pumpkin custard), Dairy (Milk in the custard, and the Cool Whip...duh), and well, there's a bit of fat too...

That's how you can tell that I was raised right... Pumpkin Pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving AND Christmas. My children will someday be so happy...


In my world, I get to have 2 Thanksgivings. One at my Mom's house, and one with my Dad. This year it was a little sketchy whether or not I was going to be able to make it to both houses. But I rallied, and made it! (I was exhausted by the time I got home, but it was nice to be able to drive... even if it hurt a little bit.)

(Side Note: I actually had my first "field trip" the day before. I was out with my mom for about an hour - she drove. By the time I got home, I was so tired I fell asleep for 2 hours. So, I understand why there was concern. Still...
Yeah, I'm stubborn. Get over it.)

Thanksgiving #1 was at my Aunt Becky's House. We had 10 people including myself. My Aunt Becky is a great baker, and also arranges flowers! She always makes everything look wonderful! I usually eat my meals on a salad sized plate, so my meal looks really tiny. But here's a picture of meal #1:



My favorite parts of this meal are the corn chowder, and my Grandma makes really good sweet potatoes with red hots. Yum! Last year she didn't make them, so for the last few weeks every time I call her I ask if her house smells like cinnamon. The answer I usually get? (From my Dad) "No, It smells like Mexicans!" (...Good thing we're Mexican!)

I took a picture of the Thanksgiving Table after we were done. My Grandma is hiding behind the candles in the middle. Usually she only shows me the back of her head, so I take this to be an upgrade...



After the meal, we had PIE! Apple and Pumpkin were on the menu. I actually held out for some thumb print cookies (because my Aunt makes really good cookies - shortbread being my favorite.) Here's where they messed up though...

I got possession of the whipped cream. :)

If you glance at JoAnne's plate, it might look like she only has a small piece of Apple Pie... But upon closer review you will notice that the big, empty spot on her plate is actually a mound of whipped cream on her pumpkin pie...


She forgot to say when. :)


I asked her a few minutes later how her pie was. She said, "I don't know. I haven't gotten to it yet!"

Hilarious!

(If I could smerk like the Grinch, this is where it would go.)



Ah, Thanksgiving! A time for love, family, food, and fake angry Dad face...



But it's cool. I got a happy Dad picture as well. We should have moved away from the giant ethereal blob in the door, but maybe the soft glow just makes us look more glamourous...



Of course, no holiday can be complete without the official holiday dog! This year's winner - well, every year's winner right now - is STEWART! I call him Stewie, 'cuz he's so cute. He sat on my feet most of the time I was there, and I have the hairy pants to prove it. Who can deny such a cute face though! He deserved every piece of turkey I snuck, uh, gave, uh, thought about giving him... haha!...


(I promise, I didn't give him that much... just a couple of pieces of turkey...

...and part of my roll...)


When all was said and done, I drove back home for meal #2! I know. You would think all that excitement would be enough, but NO! There's MORE!

I was back to my regular salad-sized plate when I got home, so my plate looks REALLY FULL. Here's a picture of meal 2:



I don't know why, but I like sweet potatoes. They are one of my favorites at this meal too. I also like the stuffing. :) We ate SO FAST at this meal (It was later in the evening, so those who didn't have 2 meals were REALLY hungry.) That the only picture I could get of the table, was actually of leftover food when it got to the counter!



We had family and friends for this meal (9 people total), and then a family that just moved into the area that didn't know anyone came over and had pie with us. It was a very nice time.



And then, I started to collapse...

So I went upstairs, and fell asleep on my bed for a few hours. I also took a picture of the nice flower arrangements people have given me to make my room beautiful while I recover.



The only problem with going out and then getting really tired and falling asleep is that eventually, you wake up... at the oddest times... and then can't go back to sleep. I'm hoping this will soon pass.

It makes nights very uncomfortable.

So, HAPPY HOLIDAYS! It's officially the Christmas Season (YAY!) and all the excitement that comes with it will begin! First up will be the making of tamales. This will be happening in the next week, since I am still stuck at home. I'll post about it as we go.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving, ate a lot of food, and if you went shopping today that you were very careful.

Personally, I used to make sure I was working on Black Friday, and when I was in school, I stayed home. I'd much rather spend a few dollars more and avoid the long lines and angry people than venture out to shop the day after Thanksgiving.

It'd ruin my holiday buzz. :)