9.04.2012

Hedgehog, the Unicorn

This last weekend I took a quick trip to Utah to meet my newest niece, and to help my sister and her two girls move home for the next six months.  It was a quick weekend, but we made sure to have some fun before our loooong drive back home.

I got there on Thursday evening.  Friday, it rained.  We didn't let it deter our fun!  We found a little community pool in Payson that had water slides & a lazy river!  The water was very warm, but the rain & the wind were frigid!  Everyone started getting cold, so we left after about an hour.  On the way back to my Aunt & Uncle's house, we saw a rainbow!


I had an opportunity to see some chickens on my trip too!  My Aunt & Uncle have chickens that they let out every morning and evening.  One of them is called "Psycho Chicken," because it was mauled by a dog, and now will charge you when cornered.  I like looking at farm animals, and eating farm animals, but that's about it.  I stayed clear of the psycho chicken, but took a picture of the sane chickens as they did their part to clean up & fertilize the lawn.  I also had a fresh chicken eggs for breakfast the next day.  Quite tasty!


My relatives live in Spanish Fork, Utah.  It's interesting how even though it is still clearly summer here at home, it has already stared showing signs that fall is around the corner in Utah.  This is a picture of the mountains from the front yard.  Notice how the trees on the side of the mountain have already started turning red!


We left on Sunday to come home.  Normally, that would be a terrible day.  Getting stuck in traffic between Southern California and Las Vegas can add HOURS to your trip, but since it was Labor Day weekend, we were able to miss the traffic.

We stopped a couple of times for bathroom breaks and gas, before we got to Las Vegas, and stopped to see... MY UNICORN!

Let me explain.  I have wanted a Hedgehog for a long time.  I've looked them up, read about them, researched their needs... but I also know that they are illegal in California.  So, though I know many people bring them into the state, I want to have one legally.  Of course, that means I'd have to move, but if I do... I'm getting one!

Now, having said all that, Hedgehogs are NOT illegal in Nevada!  In fact, there is a pet store a couple miles off the strip that sells them.  When I went to Las Vegas with my mom earlier this year, we went to the pet store but all the Hedgehogs had been sold.  So, we decided to stop at the pet store again when we drove through, with the hope  that hedgehhogs would be back in stock.  (Plus, I figured the girls would enjoy seeing the monkeys, pigs, sugar gliders, and other fun animals this pet store had.)  We stopped...

JACKPOT!


There were three tanks of hedgehogs!!  They were all sleeping...

I waited patiently for an opening to ask a pet store employee if I could see (and maybe hold) a hedgehog.  "Of course!" they said!

YESSSS!!!!

This is the little guy I got to hold...


Isn't he cute??  He was asleep when they picked him up to let me hold him, so he was a little scared.  Hedgehogs do have spines, so when they get scared they get prickly.  He was VERY prickly!!

I tried to just hold him for awhile, to get him to clam down.  He did a little, but not enough to fully de-prickle.  When they get to know you, it's not an issue, but he's definitely something I wouldn't want to accidentally step on!!

So, I finally got to hold a hedgehog!  He's like my own little unicorn, something I have seen for a long time, but never in person... until now.

I'm totally going to own one someday.