9.19.2012

Will Work

I have to tell you...

Being unemployed (while wonderful for napping) is not good for paying bills.  What I wouldn't give to have a job that pays actual money - enough to live, have a place of my own, pay bills, maybe go on an occasional vacation and buy a new car every decade or so...

But until then, I'll keep plugging along, looking for odds and ends, and building my Stage Management resume.

Speaking of which, the rest of 2012 is PACKED!!!

Tonight I had my first rehearsal for...


Rapunzel!

(I should mention here that I pulled all this art from the internets, so thank you to the artists, whoever they may be...)

Rapunzel is a show at the North Coast Rep in Solana Beach.  The Rep has an in house stage manager, so I won't be calling the show, but I was asked to be the rehearsal stage manager.  The cast is small, and all adults!  It is a show for a youth audience, but no youth are involved.  How different for me!

The Rep is going to be playing a more prominent roll in my life in the future.  They are looking at possibly making me their "In House" SM for the theater school - kind of like the "go to" girl for the youth oriented productions.  Regardless, they have me scheduled out for the next 6 months, so that's awesome!

While I was preparing for Rapunzel, I received an e-mail from The La Jolla Playhouse!  I have been asked to do another "Without Walls" show for them.  This one is not actually taking place that the Playhouse.  Instead, I will be the Production Assistant and Light Op for Sam Bendrix at the Bon Soir!


This show will be taking place at Martinis above Fourth in Hillcrest.  I think it will be super fun!  I don't know too much about it yet...  I was offered the position, and accepted, but have not gotten confirmation back on my position.  It's possible that they could have found someone else in the 12 hours it took me to re-arrange everything to fit it in, but that has yet to be seen.  Hopefully I'll get a reply soon!

The down side is that doing Sam Bendrix will make it so that this week is the only week I will be working on Rapunzel.  It's a cute, CUTE script, so I hope to help them as much as I can!  We will see...

After Sam Bendrix is over, I will be going back to North Coast Rep to work on The Outsiders!


This is a show I will actually get to call!  Additionally, I will have a student ASM, so they will be learning and reporting to me.  This is good, because a lot of their rehearsals conflict with another show I am working that I took first.  The Rep is super cool though.  They are willing to work with my schedule, and I'm excited to get the chance to keep working! 

It's also possible that I might get to work as Stage Manager for the Rep's production of Pinkalicious!


Originally I was asked to do this show, but turned it down because the performances are the same exact weekend as another show I am working.  But now, they are asking if it might fit in my schedule to work their rehearsals, and have the In-House SM call the show.  This is a morning show as well, but their weekend performances are at the EXACT same time as...


This is a constant for me the next few months, and the one show I am moving all other shows around.  See, I took this show first, so it gets the majority of my attention.  It's also the last show I will be working for the year.  Auditions are next week, so I am excited to see how many kids come out for it!

This show is taking place that the Salvation Army Kroc Center, and will hopefully regenerate their program that was ruthlessly demolished about a year and a half ago.  I hope all those involved can make it a fun and enriching experience for all the kids.

So, that's my theater year at this point!  I will be working - (OH! I will be working!!) - but will also still be looking for a full time/part time job.  Why?  I'm enjoying building my resume, but the jobs I get are usually stipends, and barely cover my gas.  I do it because I love it.  I'd like to do it to live as well.

Maybe someday...

...if Cirque du Soleil ever calls!!!