5.10.2012

There's No Business Like...

Show Business!!

The first few days of my new job are now under my belt. I still love it!

What exactly am I, and what do I do? Well, I am a Production Assistant on the new show "Blood &Gifts" at the La Jolla Playouse!


Basically, that means I assist whoever needs assisting. Currently that means making coffee. :)

It's cool. Everyone in theater has to start at the bottom. It's how you learn what needs to be done, how companies work, and what is considered "normal." Regardless, I have no cubicle walls, and it's great!!

The very first day of rehearsal for any new show coming into the Playhouse begins with a Company breakfast!


This is where the ENTIRE theater complex comes together to meet, eat and get to know one another. It must be weird to see strangers runing around all the time. It's a opportunity to get a quick glance at the new people, so you know whose using the copier. :)

Honestly, I think it's a wonderful idea, and I wish every company did it! Imagine having a little Continental breakfast once a month at your place of employment, to meet new hires, and put your best foot forward... I think it would make people feel more welcome!

After breakfast we retired to our rehearsal space to begin working! The first week of a show is usually spent around a table, reading, talking and understanding the script. This is the West Coast premiere of this show, so we are luck enough to have the playwright here for the first week to give an insight into the story. It's been fun and interesting!

The neat thing about being in a professional space is remembering what really should be done before a show opens. Sets designs are done, Costumes have been designed. The floor is taped out with the actual set design in real dimensions & rehearsal props are already sitting in the back of the room ready for use. It's amazing to know what you have, and what you need before the first rehearsal even starts!


On top of that, I have a fantastic view! This is what I get to see everyday from the patio:


This work environment is so much happier for me. I love it! It helps me forget things beyond my control, and the uselessness and failure that haunts me in other aspects of my life. It helps keep the sadness away- at least while I'm here.

The only down side to working here is - again - the parking. It's on UCSD campus, so to park here you have to PAY $7 a day, or park miles away in the neighborhoods and walk to where you need to be. At least my car will stay clean where I have to park it!

It's cool. I can use the exercise. :)