12.06.2008

First Quarter Finals

"And the sigh of relief that issued forth from her mouth was so loud that it was mistaken by some to be the early onset of the Sheraken Winds which would often roll through the Schwarzwald with a vengeance!
Ahhhhh!"

Any takers on where this is from??

Well, regardless, that sigh of relief came from me today as I finished my last final from my first quarter at UCLA! Ahhhhh!

Do I think I got all A's? Probably not.
Do I think I passed all my classes? Yes!

Things I learned this quarter (school-wise):

1. Flashcards are my friend
2. If I ever work in the film industry, I want to work on the set - no dealing with all the stuff surrounding the movie. Yesh! What a mess!
3. The things Disney Imagineers think/do/create is mind boggling!
4. There is A LOT of reading that has to be done, and a good deal of it is the kind where your eyes scan the page while your brain is off doing something else.
5. Don't loan out your notebook! It may not come back in the same shape it was in when it left your hands.
6. In a stadium style classroom, make sure you sit away from the loud group of students if you actually want to hear, and beware of soda cans.
7. TA's don't always know what they are talking about, and are not helpful if they never come to the class to find out what the instructions given were before they grade assignments.
8. In class movies and clips are fun!!
9. Group projects can cause ulcers. (I don't have an ulcer.)
10. Theater people are a little nutty. (I actually didn't just learn this. It's kind of a given.)

So, what classes am I taking next quarter? I'm not entirely sure... I am taking the second section of my Theater History class, and that's about all I know. The theater department restricts all the classes, so you basically show up on the first day and get a number to add the class. It's really quite a pain when you have to show a full course load being taken, and all the classes you need you can't register for! Plus, if you don't get in, you're kind of sunk because then it is too late to find something to fill the slot!

But even knowing that, I am hoping to get into the Scenic Design class. I had an interview with the teacher, because he is only enrolling 10 students in the course. I hope I am one of them! He was supposed to send the numbers to add the class this week, and I haven't gotten one. I am hoping that means he hasn't decided yet, and not that I didn't get in. It's one of the classes that was suggested to me as good for a Stage Manager to take. It's model building and drawing. I haven't been able to take a class where I get to make things in a really long time, and though I know the class will be hard, I have a feeling it might be one of the most fun! I also think I could do a good job. I'm only concerned that I won't get in because when I was asked about my desire to be a scenic designer in my interview, I told the truth and said I was learning it to become a Stage Manager, and his eyes kind of glazed over...

I'm also hoping to take the next section of Disney Imagineering. We get to make things in this class too! Not only that, but we get to present our finals to Disney execs at Imagineering at the end of the quarter. Plus, I heard there are FIELD TRIPS. If I don't get in, I will be really sad. They are going from about 100 students down to 40. We had to answer a bonus question on our final to be considered. The one thing that bothered me about that:
I was answering my bonus question, and we learned in the class that when coming up with a new concept that we should draw rough sketches to give people a visual idea of what we are talking about. I decided to use one of the extra pages in my Blue Book to draw a picture. WELL, the girl sitting next to me saw I was drawing a picture, and decided to draw a picture as well! Irritating! I felt like it was cheating, but not really. It still kind of stunk though.

If I don't get into Imagineering, then I will take History of Musical Theater. I might also be taking Performance Art, and they FINALLY are offering a Stage Management course. I have to show up the first day to add that one. :)

Anyway, that's it for now. Off to "Winter Break." We all know it's really CHRISTMAS break, but whatever! :)