Just a quick note!
First I want to remind everyone that American Idol started yesterday, so WATCH IT!! I really like the new judge, Kara. She seems really cool, and has her stuff together. Plus, she seems kind, but not willing to tell it like it is. She's a good counterpart for Simon. :)
Moving on...
So, I went to a theater meeting on tuesday for a class called TA 50/150. It's actually 2 classes, theater 50, and theater 150, but they are basically the same. In the theater department, you are required to be in, or work on 4 shows during your scholastic career. The class that gives you those credits is TA 50/150. So, I went to the meeting to try and get into a section and get some crew time in. I tried to get onto a crew last quarter, but the calls and my Imagineering class conflicted, so I couldn't do it.
Well, when I went, one of the production managers said they were working on an undergraduate directing project, and that they were still in need of a Stage Manager - no experience necessary. (Insert choir angels here.)
So, I went up and talked to the production manager after all the schpeels were said, and told her I was in the Stage Management class, here to study Stage Management, but that I was GREEN. I told her I didn't have any recent experience, and no experience at UCLA - I was very honest - and guess what??
I got the job! Two units of crewing credit, and a little more work than most people have to do for the credits, but the experience will be worth it to FINALLY get into the program. If I can "wow" them, maybe this time next year I will be working on the Spring Musical... :)
SO, exciting - yes. Big deal? - not so much. Just a beginning, a foot in the door!
Now my job is to kick it WIDE OPEN!