1.04.2009

Parking

I can't help but wonder if my appeal letters to get my car up here are even read. It's not like they make it easy to get transportation, and it makes me wonder who actually gets parking. Perhaps my car isn't expensive enough to be seen in the UCLA parking lot? Hmmm...

So, once again my parking appeal has been denied. Shocker. I even told them of my endless treks home, and the motion sickness that accompanies such endeavors, and it wasn't enough to soften their hearts. **sigh**

It's not like I didn't figure they would say no. I mean, this is the second quarter that they have waited until I am obviously back at school before they tell me what they have decided. It's like they are waiting to see if I bring my car up with the hope of getting parking, just so they can catch me on campus and give me a ticket. You know, get my money without handing me a pass.

In fact, here's the letter I got from them in my e-mail this evening. Who works sunday night, the night before a quarter starts, looking at appeals that have been submitted since mid-november? Slackers. I should mention it's the EXACT same letter I got in the fall...

"Thank you for taking the time to submit an appeal for Winter 2009 Quarter. We regret to inform you that your appeal or transfer request has been denied. Due to the high volume of applicants and the extremely limited amount of parking spaces available, we were unable to accommodate your request based on your appeal. Please visit our website at http://www.transportation.ucla.edu for alternative commuter options. You will need to reapply for Spring 2009 quarter starting 1/2/09 through 1/23/09 at http://www.parking.ucla.edu."

Ok, so I can start right now to supposedly apply to bring my car up here in April. But here's the thing. Because I don't have an off campus job, they won't even let me fill out the parking application. I am automatically denied parking because of this. So, all I can do is turn in an appeal. I have to have proof and back up documentation, I have to write a letter describing why I deserve parking and I think I may have to sign away my first born. Still, with all that, I'll probably get the same letter again. I will have to think about applying more the spring quarter. It's a pain - especially when I don't think they even read it!

On a side note, they resurfaced the parking lot next to my dorms. It took the entire fall quarter for them to get it done. According to the letter I got that I posted above, there are a high volume of applicants and an extremely limited amount of parking spots available. So why, I ask you, did they then turn the newly resurfaced parking lot into basketball courts? I'm just saying...

Anyway, this is the extent of my car ranting for now. Just thought I'd share. :)