1.12.2009

Winter Quarter begins

I was waiting to get some news before I wrote my next post, but didn't get it. I assume that means I actually did get the news, and the answer was "no."

So, here's a quick recap of my first week back at school:

Monday: I went to my first class not knowing if I was going to be able to get in. It is a Stage Management class, and while I am at UCLA to study Stage Management, you had to get instructor consent AND they had prerequisites of a series of classes called 14ABC. I have probably talked about those classes before, but just to recap, those are classes only freshmen can take, and my equivalent is not offered until Spring quarter. Regardless, I got in! Horray! There are only 6 students in my class, and all of them are girls. I am hoping that this class will be my ACTUAL start of work on theater productions, because with Stage management, it is better to learn by doing than by reading. However, I want a little knowledge before I begin doing...

Tuesday: I had two classes scheduled for tuesday/thursday. I was a little nervous about my first class: Performance Art. What exactly is Performance Art?? Well, let me start by saying that the reason I signed up for Performance Art is because I figured even forms of art that were not "traditional" would still require some form of Stage Management, and I wanted some background in these types of performances so if I ever had a chance to work on some of them, I would be prepared...
Well, that's not what this class was about. I got that first sinking feeling when I walked into class and the picture on the screen was of a naked woman with a giant cord coming out from between her legs. Hmmm... Turns out, the class is more about the de-construction of traditional theater and art. Things that are more environmental, and happen regardless of really any production being put on. Not AT ALL what I was looking for. In fact, kind of the antithesis of what I needed. I decided (after much contemplation and a discussion with my sister) that what was being studied, along with the pictures, and the thursday "practical study" (i.e. "we will be moving, so where comfortable clothing.") that this was not the class for me. Besides, since I transferred in as a junior with LOTS of credits, I need to keep in mind that the UC system has a credit cap, and take classes strictly based on need. I didn't need Performance Art. So I *click* dropped it.

My second class on tuesday is BY FAR my most fun class to date. History of Musical Theater! My teacher is HIGH-LARRY-OUS, and the information is way interesting. There are no books for the class. My teacher says it is because most of the Musical Theater books are coffee table books with mostly pictures and the rest are awful, so we just have to take really good notes. We will have 3 quizzes - no tests, and the two papers we have to write are about 1) a compare and contrast between an original broadway sountrack of one of about 5 he has chosen with the movie version of the same show, and 2) a review of a musical we see this quarter. Darn. That means I have to go see a musical! The only one showing in San Diego this quarter is "Annie". Blah. I think Starlight is doing that this summer, so I will **hopefully** see it plenty. Up in this neck of the woods I think we have "Pippin" and "Phantom of the Opera". I haven't seen either, but both sound farther away than I can walk, and more than I can pay. I could probably take the bus, but I'm a little leery about the bus during the day, much less at night. I may have to beg a parental to come and go with me (hint, hint)...

Wednesday: I actually didn't go to class this day. Why? I normally will have a discussion section for my Theater History class, but since that class didn't meet until friday, we didn't have to go. I DID go to institute this day though. We are studying the New Testament, and my teacher is really fun. I enjoy learning from him!

Thursday: No Performance Art this day. Shucks! But I did have Musical Theater again! Man, the class was rough... I had to go and learn about musicals, and watch part of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" starring James Cagney. Man, it was torture! (If anyone is not already aware, James Cagney is my favorite actor.)

Also, before class, I had a job interview! (This was the news I was waiting to hear about before I posted this blog.) It was for the UCLA Extension Writer's Program. I was on time to the interview, and answered all the questions. I thought it went well. The lady who interviewed me said that she had a couple more people to see but that she would have her decision by the end of the week... Tomorrow is monday. I don't know ANYONE who thinks of Monday as the end of the week (which is kind of weird, actually) so I am assuming the lack of a reply means she hired someone else. **Sigh** I'm a little nervous! I have been trying since school started to get a work study job, and to no avail. My credit card bill is higher than ever because last quarter I didn't have the money to suppliment, and I'm nervous as to what will happen if I don't get one for the rest of the time I am here. The cut off to get a work study job for this school year is January 30th, and that day is rapidly approaching. So, tomorrow I will once again scour the job boards. If I don't get a job by the end of this next week, I am going to do 2 things: 1. I am going to walk down to Borders (about 2 miles away) and see if I can get a part-time job there. Perhaps if I do I will be able to transfer to the Borders at home for the summer, and transfer back when school starts again next fall. And 2. I am going to go to the financial aid office and see if there is a way to renegotiate my financial aid and add the extra money allotted from work study into my personal loan. It's just moving the pain from now until later, but maybe later I will have more money available to pay that bill. We'll see...

Anyway, moving on...

Friday: I had the second quarter of Theater History! This is a 3 quarter required class for my major. This quarter we are studying the Renaissance, the Restoration, and basically everything else up until the 19th century. We have one 1000-1500 word paper, some quizzes, and a performance of some kind. We also will be seeing a play, and will be visiting the Museum of Tolerance. I have never been there, but have heard good things about it, so I am excited to go. I am a little concerned with reading a lot of Shakespeare, as I have trouble understanding it, but my teacher uses the lecture before the reading assignment to give us some background on the story, and I think that will help. :)

Saturday: Lazy Day

Sunday: 8:30am church. Ugh.

That's it for the week! I'm excited about my schedule (now that Performance Art is out of it) and look forward to some fun classes, with hopefully some good stories to pass on!