1.22.2009

Up to speed

Ok...

I haven't written in awhile. It's because, well, nothing exciting has happened. In fact, I still have nothing exciting to share, but I don't want the blog collecting dust...

So, here's what has been going on. After I got the TA50 class I also got an e-mail from the Stage Manager at the Hooligan Theater. I think I mentioned them before. Just a quick recap: They are a theater company on campus loosely associated with ASUCLA. Most of the people involved are not theater majors. Anyway, I had sent them an e-mail with my resume asking if they needed any Assistant Stage Managers, figuring it would be a great opportunity to get some more experience. They sent an e-mail back and said, "yes!" Well, I showed up for an hour on the night of the company meeting/read through. I could only stay an hour because then I had to go to the meeting for the TA50 show. That started me worrying about scheduling conflicts...

The Hooligan, I found out, already had an ASM, and I was going to be the second. That's fine. If the Stage Manager calls the show from the booth it is actually better to have two Assistants. That way both sides of the stage are covered. But having never been given a tour, or any information on the company, and not receiving a script (an e-mail was sent out with the script as an attachment, but my attachment never came through, and the site they said you could go to and download the script would not let me in. Besides the fact, that I think it's illegal to just hand out scripts to download without paying for them, but I'm sure they must have figured something out...) I was feeling.. at loose ends.

Additionally, the company meeting was a time for everyone to stand up and introduce themselves and their parts in the show. A giant question mark started to appear over my head as people did this. There were people introducing themselves as Robin Hood, the Pied Piper, Hansel, Mary (I assume from "Mary had a Little Lamb")... huh?? If anyone has ever seen "Into the Woods" you might be aware that these characters are not in the show! In fact, the show revolves around three main stories: Cinderella, Jack and the Bean Stalk and Rapunzel. That's really it. So what the heck are all these other characters about??? Weird...

Anyway, I left the company meeting to go to the TA 50 meeting and when there I found out that I would be needed for rehearsals for that show for 5 weeks - right smack dap in the middle of "Into the Woods" rehearsals. well, I do not like to take on a commitment and then do it half way. It leaves the wrong impression and burns bridges. So, I had to decline "Into the Woods." I'm both a little unhappy and a little relieved about it. It was way to much, and a bit too confusing...

Other than that: school, reading, sleeping, eating... the great circle of life. Still no job. I'm VERY concerned about that. I'm going to financial aid today to figure out my options. Maybe I have a bad resume. I've never had help with it, or maybe the fact that I am old and have experience is a turn off in college? I don't know... I have experience in food service, but I really would prefer not to have to work in the cafeteria... again. We'll see.

When "Into the Woods" starts, I will have to tell you where the extra characters get put in, because right now I have no clue!