I was driving home from an appointment, north on the 163, when I heard a noise that sounded like gravel being thrown up under my car. I didn't think too much about it, but noticed all of a sudden that my battery light was on.
Whaaaaat?
The temp gauge didn't show over heating. I thought maybe I was losing my alternator. (I've lost my alternator before on my old car. I had to push it by myself across the busy intersection from the 5 freeway into the Disneyland employee parking lot.)
Well, it got better, or worse, as the case my be. All of a sudden, smoke started streaming out of my hood!
I quickly veered off the freeway, and tried to drive toward my grandmother's house. Suddenly tons more smoke started spewing out, and banging noises could be heard from under the hood. I ended up parking on a street, because my steering went out and I couldn't turn to get my car into a parking lot.
Turns out I lost two of my belts. In fact, one was laying in the street about half a block from where my car died.
It was inevitable, really. It was the original belt from when I bought my car new. It's been threatening to go for awhile. I'm just glad it blew after work instead of on my way to work.
So, my poor little car has been abandoned on a street about 20 miles away. I hope it's not scared and alone out there...
... poor little car. :(