11.12.2010

Post-Op

Well, I'm just shy of 48 hours out of surgery. Normally, I would be sleeping about now, but that is not the case! Here's lesson #1: Perchocet = seizures; Vicodin = Not sleeping. Honestly, it's a toss up, but I'm leaning toward wishing I had the seizures back. I woke up at home about 5pm the day of surgery, and in the next 26 hours I was able to sleep about 4. I'm angry and irritable. Sure, I can walk around and do more things on my own than I could by this time last June, but I'm not sure I like the trade off. I don't feel good.

Surgery went well, so they say. I understand they had to redo my stomach twice. It had a pooch in it from last June that they decided to fix. They unzipped the scar line and redid it. Then they sat me up, and saw that it was still having the same problem, so they had to do it again. I'm sure it's tight now... I can't even stand up straight!

I got more drains, and came home with a catheter. I wasn't supposed to have drains this time, but I guess it was necessary. At least this time I only have 2, instead of the 4 I had in June. Here! I even took a picture:



We have to drain the fluid 3 times a day. When there is less than 25cc's and it is clearish liquid over a 24 hour period, then I can get them taken out. Currently they are sewn into my body. Kinda creepy, huh? :)

So, you can probably also tell from the picture that I'm living in the dark. This really isn't anything new... but it is more relaxing. I spend all of my time alone, and the darkness tends to promote sleeping. Too bad Vicodin is an advocate against sleep. All that leaves is the alone-ness.

Along with fixing my belly, they have removed the extra elephant wrinkles in my thighs. I heard that they removed 10 inches of skin from each leg! That's quite impressive! Obviously, one of my talents is growing skin...

Another difference between Perchocet & Vicodin: I can't feel the pain with perchocet. Vicodin makes everything very real. Since I have stitches in the creases of my legs up in my crotch, it makes it rather uncomfortable to walk. Imagine wearing a pair of too tight jeans that have gotten wet on an all day hike. You know how badly the chafing would feel? Yeah, imahine that ALL THE TIME. That's what this is kind of like. Then when you go to the bathroom, it burns and bleeds.

This wouldn't be worth it if I didn't know that it will only get better. But you can definitely tell (just from this post) that I am NOT a happy camper right now. More true yesterday though... I was ready to run some slow people down. They were irritating!

Ok, the grumpy girl is going back into her cocoon. I'm grateful to have surgery behind me, and looking forward to being all healed. Patience is a virtue that I am not happy with right now. But what can you do, but wait...?