1.25.2011

Tales of the Unemployed: Day 2

Today I stayed a little closer to home. I knew I had an appointment, so I picked things to do that would work around that.

I have found, that as I get closer to surgery dates, I have more of a problem sleeping through the night. I'm not sure why this is... I'm not scared of surgery. Regardless, I went to bed at 1am last night, but didn't fall asleep until just after 1:30. Then I woke up at 2:45, 4:15, 5:55, 6:35, 7:10...

Moral of this story: Can't sleep? Wanna talk? Day or night, chances are, I'm awake.

Eventually I got up, and putzed around.

Last night, around 11:30ish, I was heading to the bathroom to take a shower when I decided I needed to RIGHT THEN find out how long my walking route was that I take most days. I had been meaning to drive it, and get a distance, but hadn't done it. So, I dropped my towels, donned my robe, slipped on a pair of flip flops, grabbed my wallet, keys and phone, and went for a drive. Total walking route distance: 2.5 miles. That's like walking from my dorm room to school and back once a day. That's pretty good.

So, after putzing, I went for my walk. It was a very nice day! Sunny, warm, but not too hot... Very enjoyable. :)

When I got home, I dressed in non-excercise clothes, and got ready to go to my appointment - THE DENTIST!



No new cavities (thank heavens!) but the fillings I got when I was small are starting to wear out, so slowly they are being replaced. This was one such visit. I'm actually glad about the changes. My old fillings were all metal, which over time have turned black. The new ones are white, so it almost looks like you have no fillings at all! All the fillings on my bottom teeth (except 1) have been replaced. Now the top is starting its renovation.

The only really sucky thing about getting work done at the dentist (other than the non-insurance price) is dead lip when you're done. It almost looks like you've had a stroke! I hadn't eaten yet, so I was a bit concerned about biting my lip...

Not enough to not eat though!

I drove to Mira Mesa and had lunch at Oscars - well, Pat & Oscars, but whatever.



Greek salad and breadsticks! Yum! I sat in a booth and ate my salad while I read a book. Eventually I put the book away, because I was scared to get dressing on it.




There was enough salad and breadsticks for two sittings, so half of it went out to the car while I went to the movies!




Here's my thing about the movies: I love them. I'm not picky about what I see. As long as the premise sounds interesting enough to keep my attention for the span of the film, it would probably be a movie I would go see. That's not to say that some movies don't rank higher on the "want-to-see" list than others. On the contrary. But most movies are up for consideration. In fact, there was a time several years ago when I would see every movie that was shown in the Mira Mesa theater. I'd check Fandango, see what was playing, and go see all the new ones starting after work on Friday. Often Saturdays consisted of three movies, and yes, I actually bought tickets for every one.

I also love the previews, so when planning a multi-movie day, you have to leave enough time between one ending and one beginning that you don't miss the previews. They are a must.

Today's movie: No Strings Attached, starring Natalie Portman & Ashton Kutcher.

But first, a couple previews I saw today of upcoming movies now on my "I want to see" list:

Take Me Home Tonight:


Water For Elephants:



Ok, No Strings Attached:

I love romantic comedies. I think they're like voyeurism for girls. If you can't have it for yourself, let's watch someone else have it! Granted, not all romantic comedies are created equal. Some I find entertaining for the 1.5 hours I am in the theater, but do I care if I ever see it again? Nah.

Case in point: This Christmas I saw the Reese Witherspoon movie What Would You Do? It was ok. I liked the ending, but it was a LONG set-up, and I doubt I will ever see it again, unless I'm bored, it's on TV and I can't find anything else better to watch.

No Strings Attached, however, is one I will probably buy. I loved it. I wanted to be them. I will definitely see it again.

You should see it too! :)

After the movie, I walked over to Ross and bought a new slip. I have trouble with my old slip falling below the hem of my dresses at church. I finally folded a large chunk of it over last sunday morning and safety pinned it to make the waist smaller. It left a lump under my dress, so I knew it was time to get a smaller slip (ah, shucks.)

Side note: Church time changed this year (as it does every year) to 9am. 9 is good. It's late enough that you can sleep in a bit, and early enough that you get the rest of the day free. I'm cool with 9am.

Anyway, on my way home from Mira Mesa, I was sitting at the stop light just south of the 56 bridge, and I noticed a problem with the crosswalk sign...



Apparently this intersection is no longer for walking. No, no! It's for sleeping! BYOP! (Bring your own pillow)

So, now I'm home, watching TV (sort of) while I write this post. Once I'm done, I'll probably do a little work for my mom and eventually go scrounge around for dinner, which I suspect will be comprised of a cup of Yoplait yogurt and an Oscar's breadstick. Yum!

Tomorrow's adventure in 24!