3.12.2011

A Change of Plans

Sitting around all day is tiring.

Normally, I sit around all day at home, so when I get tired, I just lay down and take a little nap.

That's a lot harder when you are sitting around some place other than your bed...

...like when you're working.

WHAT?!

Yes, working!

Now, don't get too excited. It's not a forever thing - just a weekend thing. But still, I have a job for 4 days (started Thursday) and I'm very excited with my current employer.

Ready?

I'm working at...




THE OLD GLOBE!!!


Yup. It's true.

Here's how it went down.

So, Thursday, I'm sitting on my bed, minding my own business, in my pajamas, getting ready to fill out some applications, when my phone rings.

(I check the number - 619 area code, slightly familiar, but not listed in my phone)

I answer it.

Turns out, The Globe is in tech for a play going into previews Saturday night, and for whatever reason, they had to replace one of their actors. "Would it be possible for you to come work for the weekend helping the new actor learn his lines, blocking and acting as a prompt, if needed, during previews? "

(Let me think about that for .000001 seconds...)

Uh, YEAH.

I had about half an hour of notice before the actor would be arriving by train from LA.

It took me an hour, with getting dressed, getting food for my long day, and driving down, but no one minded. (One of the great things about theater. Plus I was doing them a favor, filling in so quickly!)

I'm having a lovely time! I get to go, help with lines, sit and watch...

...no responsibilities...free tickets to see the show...

What more could I ask for?

The play I am working on is called Groundswell.



Mostly, I am enjoying watching how people at the Globe work, and just getting to be there. It's a toe in the door.

Plus, there are several of the tech guys that I worked with at Starlight that are working at the Globe now, so it's fun to get to see them.

Anyway, unless they need me next week for previews, tomorrow is my last day. Still, it was a whirlwind opportunity that I have loved being a part of.

A chance change of plans.

Hopefully more opportunities will be coming my way soon! :)