I figured it out!!!
They send e-mails, and put up flyers about how they reduced the price of books this year by $650,000... I finally figured out how they managed!
So, there are these things called "Readers"...
It's a collection of articles, stories, interviews, etc. that a teacher compiles of stuff they want their classes to read. They then take these selections to a Course Reader Store off campus, have them copied, and bound... make them REQUIRED READING...
and charge a student $75.00 to buy them.
THAT's how they saved everyone money. They stopped buying published books, and sprung READERS on us. Sly...
Ok, so here's the info on my SECOND day of school, and weekend...
Friday I had one class - History of Theater. I love theater. I am not a fan of history. It's kinda dry, usually requires the kind of reading where your eyes scan the page but your mind wanders, and usually involves research and papers. **sigh**
Yes, I know I am in college, and papers are a "no brainer," but let's be serious. I've been in college in one form or another for the last 8 consecutive years. I am SO OVER papers, it's ridiculous! And it's history. You can't really change anything about history in a paper, because it's HISTORY. Can I just scan my eyes over someone elses paper, instead of writing another one?
Fine. Another paper. Geez...
The class itself will be fun though, I think. It's a lecture class, so it has a lot of people in it. It's a requirement for my major. That means that we also have an additional history "section." It's a smaller class made up of people from the bigger class, to give you a chance to have a little more one-on-one time with the material. It's is taught by the TA's (teacher assistants). My section is on Tuesday. And as if a paper isn't torture enough, I feel a GROUP PROJECT coming on... (Groaning and rolling eyes)
Can I just have another paper?
Saturday was nice. I did nothing. Two of my suitemates went home for the weekend, and the third had a friend come stay over and then they did touristy things during the day. I was here ALL ALONE. :)
If I had access to my car, I probably would have gone to Walmart.
Instead, I read a book, ate breakfast, did some homework, cleaned my room, read some more, put some music on my beautiful new ipod, played on the computer, took out the trash and the recycling, ate dinner, read some more, and went to bed. The only thing that could have made it better?
Come on, you have to see it coming...
My car. :)
Today was sunday. Ho Hum. After I made it home from church (which was an iffy situation), I went to dinner in the cafeteria with my building. There are some really nice people who live around me. 2 of the guys are from Poway! They are both second years. Small world.
The Amazing Race started tonight as well! HORRAY!!! I love the Amazing Race. I'm going to be on that show one day. I'm taking my brother-in-law Shane with me. (I don't know if he knows that yet or not...) But guy/girl teams always seem to do better, and he's good with budgets, and directions, and languages, and stick shifts... If I take someone where I have to drive a stick shift, half an episode would be bleeped out. Why? Stick shifts make me cuss. It's an awful thing.
I've also noticed this week that I am going through a very small withdrawal... I pine for my trips to Walmart and Target - I go often, usually. I don't necessarily have anything to buy, but I like to peruse (sp?). But the one thing I really wanted? A SLURPEE. Do rich people not like the cold, fruity goodness?? I think they are missing out on a fabulous, delicious treat! I will have to have a slurpee when I go home next weekend...
to stare at my car. Kidding!!!
I am going to come home this next weekend though. There is a roudy beach party planned for a couple of awesome people I know who are getting OLD. (Tacey is becoming a teenager, and Dallin gets to use ALL his fingers to tell his age.) Without a car, I will be making the trek via bus, and subway, and train.
Me = TERRIFIED
Since I have no class tomorrow, I am going to try taking the trip to the train station on my own. I am scared, scared, scared. I have never taken public transportation, and I am afraid I am going to get lost. I may beg off and try it wednesday, but we will see... Either there will be an exciting adventure post from me tomorrow night, or a post-traumatic counselling session planned here at school for Tuesday. Unless I get so lost I am never heard from again...
HEAVENS!