9.22.2008

The Treck

Ok... here's the story:
Friday:
I was supposed to be at UCLA to move in between 2 and 3. In my usual fashion, I didn't leave the house until 2:30, so we didn't get here until almost 6. I checked my e-mail at the last minute, and received an e-mail denying me parking. So, I don't have a car, or anyway to get ANYWHERE. Needless to say, this has become the major downer of my life!!
Scott and Tarah helped me move in. They were great. YES, I could have done it on my own. YES, I would have been fine, but it was nice to have the help. After they helped me bring all my stuff into my room (I live on the second floor of a building with no elevator) we walked through campus into Westwood Village. I bought Diddy Reese (Ice Cream Sandwiches) for Scott, but Tarah didn't want one, and got In and Out for dinner before I went back to my room. Afterward, Scott tried to hook up the TV to the VCR, but the hookups are all weird, and I need to find someone to help me get the right wiring to hook it up. The Best Buy guys don't speak "girl."



So, here is a picture of my dorm. I also am including pictures of my "before" bed. Something to remember in the future: Apparently, the thing to do is show up first thing on the first morning they are handing out keys. Get your key, go to your room, and stake a claim on the bed of your choosing! Then come back when it is actually time to move in, and leisurely put your things away... I'll have to remember that. However, there are pros and cons to my side of the room.
Pros:
I have control of the window
My desk is by the internet jack
Cons:
My bed is by the window, and the drapes aren't NEARLY as dark as in my room at home. Grrr.
I still don't have my car.

Here's a funny comparison... Here's all the stuff I brought:


And here is the stuff by roommate dropped off before I came:

My roommate: Is from Japan! She moved to Orange County 2 years ago, and is an Architect major. That's all I know. She's very social, and I've really only seen her twice.
Saturday:
I did a little shopping for some things I needed that were afforable (sort of) and close by. I tried to get the cords I needed at Best Buy, but again, they don't speak "girl." I also bought ANOTHER mouse for my computer, because the first one I bought had a cord, and my computer doesn't have the jack on it to allow the cord. I try to save money, and end up with a mouse that doesn't work, and a credit card receipt for an additional $30 for a wireless mouse. HOW AM I EVER GOING TO PAY THIS CREDIT CARD DOWN?!?!
I also did a lot of walking around, and that led to a lot sleeping later in the day. I also found out that night that food on the hill was free until Sunday night, so I didn't have to eat at In and Out - we could have all easten in the cafeteria. Something to remember next year, I guess!
I also got a repeat copy of my "We're to good for YOUR car" e-mail. So to add insult to injury they told me I couldn't have my car...twice!
Here's a picture of my room all put together. Or what you can see of it...
Sunday:

Ah, Sunday...
I woke up and got ready fast to get to the Bruin walk. They had a big "Welcome" concert sunday night, and a dance. They were also going to show Eagle Eye (which doesn't come out until this friday), but you had to have a wristband to get in. I got my wristband!! But, I missed breakfast in order to do it. I had a sandwich for breakfast, and didn't care for it to much.
I got ready for church, and went to where they said the shuttle would pick us up.
Turns out, it's not really a shuttle, it's a bunch of really nice people who go out of their way to pick people up who have been denied parking. It was very nice of them.
Church: I have never seen so many pregnant women in my life! It's cool, but shows just how little I have in common with people here. I'm old, and I'm not married or pregnant. Not that I wish I was...
So, church was ok. Again, feelings of irriation erupted about the lack of car. Rage, really. I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE not having a car.
I came home, had dinner, and then hung out in my room until about an hour and a half before the movie started. Then I went down to campus to get a good seat. I wasn't interested in the concert or dance. I got to Ackerman, and the movie was SOLD OUT!!!
Happy Bruin Bash to me! I got to do nothing! I went back to my room and worked a little on freeing up some space on my computer.
Monday:
They called it "Mandatory Monday." We had a lot of meetings this evening. In the morning, I once again missed breakfast. We went to the activities fair to look at the clubs. It was mostly religious groups, fraternities and sororities. It was interesting to watch. They mostly ignored me, because I look like a mom. :) It just meant I had a lot less flyers to bring to the room than my suitemate did!
At 3:30 we had a welcome assembly, and it was followed by a BBQ. Then we had a meeting for our housing complex, and then a meeting for our building. Finally, when I was meeting'd out, I got to come back to my room and watch How I Met Your Mother, and One Tree Hill. I am hoping Heroes will be available online.
In the interim hours between my fantastically eventful weekend I did some sleeping
Some reading
and some playing on my computer.
It's weird going from 2 jobs to nothing. Plus with no car, I have no way of getting anywhere. I am VBRY bored. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I have my first day of a two day orientation for my department, and I need to buy another book. (Whip out the credit card!) So, maybe tomorrow the pace will pick up!
In the meantime, I'm going to bed... and dwell on my lack of car...