Today was my first day of school! I must have been nervous, because I could NOT fall asleep last night. I read a book, and tossed and turned, and then read some more, I think I finally dozed off around 3am...
Not to worry!
I tend to be a night owl anyway, and my first class today did not start until 1pm, so I had some "down time."
I've decided I am going to start a list of "Frequently Thought Of" questions that people wonder about, but never ask, so they have to hunt for the answers. I've done a lot of hunting this week. Today my hunting was focused on housing funds. I guess when you receive financial aid, the university gobbles up the money, takes what they want, and then spits the remainder out to you in the form of a check! And all this week I thought my housing was paid! No sir! I have to then take my check and pay housing seperately. They neglect to tell you (though it might be in the fine print) exactly how much they expect your housing to be... Well, what if the housing you are offered is more expensive than the left over amount? Yup, that would be a problem. A problem I now have to figure out how to fix. But this too shall pass!! Though I send a little thank you to my mom for listening to me blubber a little on the phone today. I hate money. Unless I can spend it on something good like DVD's, Christmas, a trip to Disney World, plastic surgery...
Anyway, moving on...
My first class! Was Contemporary History of Film and Television. It's basically a class about how movies and TV are made. Not like writers, directors, and cinematographers, but like agents and producers and stuff - The "glue" that puts the right directors, actors and cinematographers with a movie or TV script.
I have to write 3 papers, sort of. The first one is my mid-term. The second requires me to read a movie script for a movie that came out in the last 3 years, and I have to do a coverage report on it. I guess this is what script readers do in the movie industry when they get new scripts from writers, so I am excited to learn a little more about it. In the meantime, I need to think of a fun script I want to read! My last paper is a short essay during my final. I think I will be able to handle the papers... LOTS of reading though. Good thing I like to read!
The only bad thing is that the bookstore accidentally made a mistake. There were 4 books listed for this class as required. Turns out 2 of them were for the graduate student class my teacher is holding, so I bought two books I don't need. Very stinky.
My second class! Was really cool! It's my Disney Imagineering class. We had to sign a confidentiality agreement to be in the class, and I'm fine with that! Basically, since the school has an agreement with Disney, we use their company as a model for design, but it's a class on design, not necessarily Disney. Still, we get to have some speakers come and tell us about their design experience, and for our final we get to go to the Glendale Studios! (Insert bright light and singing angels here. Ahhhh!!!!) HOT DOG, I'm excited!!
Tomorrow I have one class. It's a theater history class, and is an additional lecture for a class I signed up for that meets Tuesdays. But I checked my calendar, and now it looks like it is my class INSTEAD of tuesdays... What does that mean? It means I came to UCLA to go to school on Thursday and Friday. Poor planning on MY part! But, if it's true, I get a 5 day weekend. Oh man, I'm going to get SPOILED! At least I should have time to write my papers!
I think I will also start haunting the film department. They won't let me major in both theater and Film, but if I wander long enough, maybe I can pickup some knowledge on the sly...
Either way, It's gonna be FUN!!!
I thought of my cute Achievement Days girls today. I missed hanging out with them! I'm sure they did something totally cool though. Makes me a little jealous! :)