This morning, I was still debating making the trip. In fact I stalled - A LOT. First, I got up late, missing breakfast, and went to the housing office. I am a few hundred dollars shy of being able to pay for housing this quarter, and needed to speak to them about it. Then I went to Financial aid, followed by student accounting, and tried to get everything figured out.
Afterward, I walked down to the church institute building, where they hold classes, and met the instructor and had a free hamburger. They were very nice! I explained my field trip, and they helped me figure out the right bus route, gave me a map, and told me EXACTLY where to go. That's all I wanted! So after dragging my feet for several hours, I walked to the bus stop...
and got on.
There was a very nice lady who told me I was at the right stop, and that it would be awhile before my stop came up. She was right. A hour later I got to my stop, crossed the street and found the escalator down to the subway. I bought my ticket, walked down to the platform...
and got on.
Eight stops, and half an hour later I was at Union Station! I bought my ticket home for friday (I was dumb though, they have AAA discounts. I brought my card, and forgot to show it! What an idiot!) and wandered down to the platform area to see the layout. I think I will be ok on friday.
When I was done, I headed back to the subway, and ALMOST got on the wrong one. Luckily, I got off in time! I got back to the bus, and back to my room!
Here's what I have learned from the experience:
1. There are some very smelly people in LA
2. There are also a couple crazy people
3. It takes $5.00 - 4 $1.00 bills and 4 quarters to get to the train station from UCLA and back.
4. I will need to remember to take Dramamine before I go. Subways make me car sick.
5. I also need to take Tylenol. Smelly people give me headaches.
6. The bus driver, though EXTREMELY nice, looks like one of the Geico Cavemen!
7. This trip costs just as much as gas in my car would cost for the same trip, and takes an hour and a half longer - not including drive time from the train home when I get there.
8. There are 3 7-11's between UCLA and the subway!
9. There are a lot of cool buildings on Sunset worth exploring. And a lot to stay away from.
10. I may, someday, decide to make a longer bus exploration. Maybe even to Disneyland.
Anyway, no counselling needed after the maiden voyage. I'm back, and I'm ALIVE!
Whew!
Hippie and me at Union Station. :)