So, here's the deal about school... I applied to 3 schools last fall, and got into 2 of them. The one I did not get into (which we will call the "University of Do-As-I-Say-Not-As-I-Do, so as not to be rude...) was originally my first choice. However, all things work out as they are supposed to be, and I have happily landed in Westwood as a junior at UCLA!
So why the fancy name for the University listed above? Well, as I said, I will not actually mention it, because it is rude (and not worthy of typing), but all over their website they said transfer students should receive their decision, or a request for more information by June 1. Since it was my first choice school, I put off paying housing and working on my UCLA information (because I am a financial aid student, and didn't want to start things I couldn't finish) in case the other school came through with an acceptance.
June 1st came, and went... ALL of June came and went. So did most of July. And everyday, or every few days I would call the U of DAISNAID, and would be given the same answer, "No decision has been made."
So naturally, I figured a University would not be so rude as to leave me hanging until 3 weeks before school starts to tell me no. If they are waiting to decide until this late in the year, especially considering that I went out of my way to turn in my application, financial aid information and department supplement early, then they HAVE to be expecting me in the fall.
Nope.
I finally got my "Sorry you stink" letter with an additional paper that listed all their excuses for not accepting me. Whatever.
So here I am left standing with egg on my face. No acceptance to the other school, and no housing at the school I will actually be attending. I have to say, I was bummed. Not because I am going to UCLA (I am excited, and extrememly terrified to go), or because I didn't get into the other school, but because of the complete lack of respect they showed the students who applied. I know I am not the only one who received a letter so late in the year, but for those who pay the application fees, attend the department interviews, fill out the paperwork and turn it all in on time, don't you think we should receive the same respect in return? If they received all my stuff late, they would have tossed it without a backwards glance. But I have to wait a month and a half AFTER the self-imposed deadline they gave for decisions? No. I don't need to learn from a school like that.
So, UCLA has since become my first and only choice! In exchange, I have been given the opportunity to go to a school that offers DISNEY classes (Can you say - My own personal little slice of heaven. Ahhhhh!). And a MUCH better neighborhood. The housing thing was a major stress for several weeks. But I put my name in the housing lottery pool, and got on campus housing offered to me last week. I very quickly snatched it up - though the cost collapsed a lung and left a divet on my credit card. Yeesh!
I've been working for DAYS on all my financial aid documentation. I think I finally got the last bit of paperwork sealed for mailing tonight, and also finished my appeal for parking. I need a place to park my car!! All I have left to do is find a work-study job, and my financial aid stuff should be able to hold me for awhile. I'll probably have an interview for a job I think will be PERFECT for me later this week or next week, so I'll keep you posted. Otherwise, all I have left to do is to figure out what I need to pack!
But not tonight. Again I have waited to long to work on my blog of many colors, and now I need some sleep. Perhaps tomorrow will bring some more explanations. Like,what is that weird gray thing in that UCLA picture on the right? Well, I will tell you all about him! ... tomorrow. Or later today. However you look at it...