9.24.2008

Orientation

So, I spent the last two days at Orientation for the School of Theater, Film and Television. The first morning, I walked from my dorm room to the Theater Building and found out that it takes about 30 minutes to get there - maybe a little less. It's uphill both ways. Truly.




Anyway, we had a continental breakfast (i.e. bagels and danishes, yum!) and heard from the department heads. Then they had a special guest speaker, Inside the Actors Studio fashion. The speaker we had was David Silverman, a UCLA alumnus in Animation. He draws Homer Simpson! Here is a picture of him. I found it on animated-views.com.





We got to see a film reel they put together of a lot of his work, including his animated reel from UCLA. It was really neat, and made me long to take more animation classes. I took the ROP Animation class back home, and have my tape with my run cycle and stuff on it, but that's about it. My run cycle is still my favorite. I have it on VHS, not DVD but maybe if I bring it up to school, someone can convert it for me. if that happens, I will put it on my blog for all to see. :)

Today orientation was more focused. We had a theather department meeting, then a transfer students meeting, and then a production and design students meeting. All were good. The only problem I have found is that one class I had planned on taking (14A) is only open to freshman. Apparently I had misunderstood. So, now I am 5 credits shorter this quarter than I thought I was, and I have Mondays and Wednesdays off. That's fine and all, but I want to find something to fill that space that will count for my major - or maybe my minor. I am going to try to get in and talk with my counselor tomorrow or friday and see what I can do.

I also met the other Stage Managers in the theater department. There seem to be only about 10 of us. I, and one other person, are the "newbies". I'm totally fine with that, I just want to work and gain experience. crew jobs? ASM positions? grunt work? Bring it on! You have to pay your dues to get to the top. (Plus learning all the grunt stuff helps you understand and appreciate what others are doing to help you look good when you get to the top!) I think it is important to have at least basic knowledge of everything in the theater - lights, sound, construction, front of house - to full understand and be a great Stage Manager. That's what I intend to squeeze out of this program. Dang it, they are going to HEAR me! :) Because I don't want to be a good Stage Manager...

I want to be a GREAT Stage Manager!

Funny Story: So, I had to buy one more book, because they added one on me at the last minute. I walked from the top of the hill where my classes are, to the bottom where the student store is - about a 15 minute walk. When I got there, they told me my book was actually in the LuValle Store... located back up at the top of the hill. Sooo... back up the hill I trudged. I finally found my book, and then walked back down the hill (again), past the book store and up the other hill to my room.

Christmas List
Item 1: New Tennis Shoes

Maybe I should take pictures of the bottoms of my shoes every week. We can see how fast I wear out the tread. Kind of like a progression of "pregnant lady" pictures, only not really.

Tomorrow is the first day of classes. I am excited about my Disney Imagineering class. I have had a couple of ideas for Disney floating around in my head for YEARS. In fact, I am surprised no one else has come up with them! But I want to learn more about how to develop them, and maybe present them as ideas. I'm scared to share them though. I know designing is a colaborative processes, but I've had ideas at a company I previously worked at during the "dark ages" of my life, and they kind of got taken and I got no credit, so I'm scared that these things I have thought of for so long will be taken from me. Hmmm... Much to consider...
Anyway, first day tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!