9.05.2008

Sea World

Truly, how did I get into college?
I tried to put a counter on the bottom of my blog, and it didn't work. How hard is it to push a button that should tell me how many people read my page? It's a sad day when you can't even figure that much out! Granted, I don't speak computer, so all this HTML nonsense is jibberish as far as I'm concerned.
I hope my new roommate is a computer major...
This summer (one of my favorite summers ever) I have had 2 jobs: Starlight Theater in Balboa Park, and Sea World! I loved them both. But, since the "summer" is over, Sea World has gone back to their off season schedule, and all the seaonsonal employees (like myself) were sent off on their merry way. I think they would have kept me, if I had been staying around. Maybe I can get back in next summer, depending on what next summer looks like...
So, anyway, monday was my last day at Sea World. I got to work at the Sealion & Otter show, which was my favorite place to be! I love the silly sealions, and the cute otters! We got 2 new baby girl otters this summer, and it was awesome to be there to see them! I also got to be part of a "human fence" when one of them got out, got scared, and kept trying to hide under the stage, and when Argon the sealion died. That was sad. It was a super fun summer though, and a highlight of my life thus far.
On my last day, the trainers (who are totally nice and extremely cool) let me take picures with Spock, one of the sealions, and Lucy, one of the otters. I have decided to post a couple of them here and make you all green with envy! :)



So this is me and Spock. As you can see, we're both a little shocked. Me, because I'm standing next to a SEALION, and him? Probably because I look HORRIBLE! Isn't my Sea World uniform fabulous? I love it! I actually would have liked it more if I didn't have to tuck in my shirt, but, I understand their logic, I guess.





Here's another picture of me and Spock. Isn't he so cute?? I have a picture if him and me kissing. It's much to risque to put on my blog...


Really, it just looks silly, because I wasn't expecting it, and I was half laughing when they took the picture. So basically, I look like a nerd. Well, more so than usual...





This is a picture from last spring when I was first starting at Sea World. You can tell because my hair was a lot shorter. This was my first day at Sealion and Otter (or S&O for short.) The sealion in this picture is Argon. He's the sealion that died during the summer. He was the sealion that they would bring out to play with celebrities and important people when they came to Sea World. I think he was kind of old, and he had been a little under the weather for a week or so before he died. I had seen him earlier that day, and he was eating and looking better. I guess it was just his time to go. It was still sad though.




And if these pictures aren't enough, here's a couple more! :)

This is Lucy! (and me, of course.) She is the oldest otter they currently have. Her mate's name is Desmond. They call them Lucy & Desi. Lucy, I found out, came to Sea World after she had been donated to the zoo for breeding. Apparently she had been hand raised illiegally in a home, and was taken by animal control, or something. Needless to say, she is one of those animals that thinks they are a person. I have a feeling she gets a little upset that she has to live with all these otters!
Here are the names of the otter pairs at Sea World: Lucy & Desi, Willow & Judy, Leo & Giselle, Fred & Ethel, Buffy & Xander (who are in the education department), and Min & Sun.


And lastly, a picture of my favorite otter! This is Sun. She is one of the new baby girl otters. She's got the most adorable face, and she's as sweet as can be! I want to put her in my pocket and bring her home to live in the bathtub! But, I have a feeling Sea World might frown down on that...

So, that's it for my Sea World pictures for now. How awesome that I got to not only work at Sea World, but got to work around these amazing animals?! I live a charmed life!!

Now to figure out how to get that cute little mug into my pocket...